MAKES ABOUT 12 SERVINGS
- 2 lb bag of lentils
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 stocks of celery
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2/3 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cover lentils in water and soak overnight, then drain and rinse.
- Fill large pot almost to top with water and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils to boiling water and reduce heat by 1/2. Simmer for 6 hours.
- Dice all ingredients and add to pot, including olive oil, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, cover pot, reduce heat to 1/4, stir occasionally and cook an additional 1 1/2 hours.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: (www.whfoods.com)
Lentils -- are a rich source of dietary fiber and provide an excellent source of the following nutrients: molybdenum, folate, copper, phosphorus, manganese and iron. They are a good source of protein, vitamin B1 and B6, pantothenic acid, zinc and potassium.
Bell Peppers -- are an excellent source of vitamin C and B6. To maximize the availability of vitamin C and carotenoids, allow this vegetable to ripen. Whether green, red, yellow, or orange, optimally ripe bell peppers will have deep, vivid colors, feel heavy for their size, and be firm enough to yield only slightly to pressure.
Carrots -- are perhaps best known for their rich supply of beta-carotene. Carrots contain valuable amounts of antioxidant nutrients.