QUINOA & AVOCADO SALAD
MAKES 6 - 8 SERVINGS
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well in cold water, then drained
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- I tablespoon of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
PREPARING THE QUINOA:
- First rinse the quinoa with a fine strainer. Then dry toast (wet quinoa) in a medium pot over medium-high heat until aromatic, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the water and salt, then bring to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer until all the liquid has evaporated and the quinoa is cooked, about 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the quinoa steam in the pot for 3 - 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
ASSEMBLING THE SALAD:
Add the kale, avocado, nuts, onion, mint and cilantro to the bowl of kinda. Add the dressing to the quinoa. Season to taste with see salt and black pepper, and lightly toss the salad to coat everything evenly. Serve either chilled or at room temperature.