SERVES 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 yellow or red onion, diced
- 1 small winter squash, peeled & cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (more if you like it hot)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 24 oz glass jar of tomatoes (Bionaturae, but canned is okay if this brand isn't available)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional -- sprinkle with chopped cilantro or green onions
- In a stock pot set over medium-high heat, warm the coconut oil.
- Add the turkey and sauté it until browned. Then add the onion and squash, sautéing until the squash is soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the garlic, red pepper, and zucchini
- Sauté an additional 3 minutes
- Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and cacao powder, and continue cooking until the spices are fragrant -- about 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with chopped cilantro or green onions -- optional.
- Serve warm.